CBD oil is available at the Holistic Wellness Center. We strive to be as informative and offer useful information to our clients about the pros and uses of cannabidoil. The following article is extracted from CBD oil review.
Original Article: CBD Oil Review | CBD Oil Dosage: General Tips to Assess How Much CBD to Take
By and large, the acceptance and use of cannabidiol as a therapeutic, healing substance is in its infancy. Medical professionals and scientists are only now beginning to develop dosing schedules for medical marijuana, medicinal hemp, and their extracts (including CBD).
Even with the current wave of states legalizing medical marijuana, many physicians are hesitant to prescribe cannabinoids like CBD. This is for two reasons:
1 – Doctors cannot prescribe (only recommend) cannabinoids, because there’s no recommended daily allowance (RDA) or universal dose for all people.
2 – Most medical schools never cover CBD/cannabidiol therapy in their pharmacology courses (the drug curriculum revolves primarily around substances that can be patented).
Because there is no recommended dose, the information presented on this page is intended to serve only as an informational guide – a starting point of reference – and should never be considered medical advice.
When it comes to cannabinoids, there is one universal truth to keep in mind:
Everyone Is Different
There are countless variables such as weight, diet, metabolism, genetics, environment, product consistency, and more that make a universally prescribed dosage an impossibility.
While we wish we could provide the public with a mathematical CBD dosage calculator, it isn’t quite that simple – very rough estimates are about as good as it gets.
With these facts in mind, most people who are new to cannabidiol begin their journey by starting with the minimal suggested CBD dosage on any product, then gradually increasing the dose until they achieve the desired results.
We at CBD Oil Review (COR) have created an official COR Serving Standard through an extensive analysis of hundreds of CBD products.
The (COR) Serving Standard is 25mg of CBD, taken twice daily.
Additionally, our analysis suggests increasing the amount of CBD you take every 3-4 weeks by 25mg until you attain symptom relief (inversely, decrease by 25mg if symptoms worsen).
Additionally, you might find it useful to record your daily experiences in a notebook so you can accurately narrow in on what works and feels best for you. With that understanding in place, it is now time to learn more about CBD oil and how to find the right CBD oil dosage for you.
How Much CBD Oil Should I Take?
Mayo Clinic suggests CBD dosages based on scientific research, publications, traditional use, and expert opinion. Cannabinoid dosages and duration of treatment depend mainly on the illness (and countless other factors).
The following chart from Mayo Clinic provides specific dosage recommendations for various illnesses:
- Loss of Appetite in Cancer Patients: 2.5mg of THC (orally), with or without 1mg of CBD for six weeks. [S]
- Chronic Pain: 2.5-20mg of CBD [with or without THC] (orally). [S]
- Epilepsy: 200-300mg of CBD (orally) daily. [S]
- Movement Problems Due to Huntington’s Disease: 10mg of CBD per kg of body weight daily for six weeks (orally). [S]
- Sleep Disorders: 40mg-160mg of CBD (orally). [S]
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS) symptoms: Cannabis plant extracts containing 2.5-120 milligrams of a THC/CBD combination daily for 2-15 weeks. Patients typically use eight sprays within any three hours, with a maximum of 48 sprays in any 24-hour period. [S]
- Schizophrenia: 40-1,280mg oral CBD daily. [S]
- Glaucoma: A single sublingual CBD dosage of 20-40mg (>40 mg may increase eye pressure). [S]
Learn the Types of CBD Products
CBD hemp oil comes in seemingly endless forms, each with a different concentration of CBD and other phytocannabinoids. Determining how to use CBD oil first starts with choosing your route of administration – in other words, choosing the best way to take CBD oil for your needs and lifestyle.
- Liquid hemp oil, like CBD tinctures or CBD drops
- CBD concentrated into a thick paste (often referred to as Rick Simpson Oil, or RSO)
- Encapsulated CBD oil
- Phytocannabinoid-rich sprays/spritzers (generally designed for application beneath the tongue)
- Bottled water containing nano-sized CBD particles
- CBD-infused chewing gum
- On-the-go dissolvable powders containing CBD (oftentimes blended with other adaptogenic herbs)
- Cooking oils (such as coconut oil or olive oil) with added cannabinoids
- CBD-infused edibles (i.e., gummies, brownies, cookies, etc.; generally for individuals who are sensitive to smoking/vaping)
- Crystalline isolates
- Wax (similar to THC-containing marijuana concentrates called “shatter”)
- CBD-rich eLiquids and/or vape cartridges (akin to an e-cigarette)
- Transdermal patches with CBD (similar to a nicotine patch)
- Cannabidiol-infused salves,balms, lotions, shampoos, or soaps (for topical use)
- Bath bombs infused with CBD
Decide How to Use CBD Oil
While many options like chewing gum need no instructions, we have compiled these tips on how to take CBD oil:
Liquid CBD Oil/Tinctures/Extracts: Drops or tinctures should have a “suggested serving size” and the total milligrams of CBD listed on their packaging. From there, you can determine the amount of CBD you would like to ingest. Simply place the correct quantity of drops under your tongue using the dropper and hold the CBD oil in place for a minimum of 60 seconds. The 60 second hold allows for absorption via the blood vessels underneath your tongue – efficiently bypassing first-pass metabolism. Once 60 seconds has passed, swallow the CBD oil.
CBD E-Liquid/Vape Cartridges: Vaping is excellent for people looking for an immediate response, as inhalation is the fastest way to deliver CBDs to your brain and body. To use vape simply exhale gently the air from your lungs then inhale through the mouthpiece slowly for 3 seconds. Then fill your lungs the rest of the way with additional breath and hold for a few seconds, exhaling when ready. There are pre-filled, cost-effective vape pens and cartridges available as well as more expensive vaporizers that you can refill with CBD-infused e-liquid.
CBD Edibles: With edibles, the only required steps are open, eat, and enjoy! This method of consumption will result in more drawn-out effects that also take longer to kick in than some of the other options. Edibles are great for those seeking sustained effects, or for those who want to be subtle about their usage of CBDs.
CBD Isolates/Concentrates: Anyone familiar with smoking hash or other cannabis concentrates like wax and BHO will be no stranger to this delivery method. Simply sprinkle some into a vaporizer or water pipe, ignite, inhale, and enjoy! We find that this option is useful for individuals looking to elevate their regular consumption of CBD-rich cannabis flowers or other smokable herbs.
For quick reference, refer to this chart of ingestion methods for the pros and cons of each delivery method so can decide for yourself the best way to take CBD oil:
|Pros||Cons||Time of Onset||Duration of Effects||Recommended for:|
|Ingestibles||– Convenient– Discreet
– Doesn’t harm the lungs
|– Slow to take effect||30-60mins||2-4 hours||– Those who consider discretion a top priority|
|Smokables||– Fast-acting– Familiar
– Easy to use
|– Non-discreet– Smoking and vaping are illegal in many places||Instant||45mins-1 hour||– Daily cannabis users– Those trying to quit smoking cigarettes
– People with an ‘oral fixation’
|Topicals||– Can be applied locally to affected areas– Can be a part of daily hygiene routine
– Bypass liver metabolism
|– Inconvenient– Slow to take effect||Varies widely due to factors such as hair growth, fatty tissue, skin temperature, etc.||Varies with amount applied||– Women into body care– Those with inflamed joints, muscles, etc.|
|Transdermal Patches||– Long-lasting– Bypass liver metabolism
– Steady release of CBD into bloodstream
|– May take hours to feel effects||Same as above||1-2 days||– Those with chronic pain– People going on long trips where other options are unavailable|